Sunday, December 1, 2013

Close, But Yet So Far!

5:10 was the official time.  12 mins over my goal!  However, it was windy and I cramped from about the 90km mark.  My nutrition and electrolytes were sorted so upon reflection it was probably due to not putting myself under 'race' conditions and pushing my body before hand.  The shop rides always stop and start to wait for people - this is great as nobody gets left behind.  And when I ride by myself it's only 30-40kms.  Good lesson - next year a bit of stress on the body before hand.  
What I did enjoy on the ride was the exhilarating feel and sounds of being part of a HUGE peleton.  There would've been about 100 riders crusing up to 45kph along the flats from Turangi to Hatepe hill.  
I almost collapsed at the finish line when I took my right leg over the seat.  My leg cramped like I've never felt it before.  Fortunately a young girl asked if she could take my bike to the bike valet!  Once I'd sorted my leg out I had to find her as I had no idea where my bike was!!
The afternoon was spent in Schneider Corporate tent that John & Lorraine had managed to score for us!  Complimentary drinks, food with Schneider and entertainment in the form of a live band courtesy of race organisers.  What an awesome way to finish the day.
Just found the results.  20th in my age group.  Gotta be happy about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment